Monday 20 February 2012

Juice Jelly


Sorrel Jelly made with this Juice Jelly recipe
Granted I did play around with the original recipe a little, I used golden brown sugar instead of white and I made my own juice from dried sorrel flowers instead of just using fruit juice.  But still I recommend that you give this a try because you can make it in any flavor you like.  It's for that reason that I'm giving just the basic recipe for juice jelly.  I found this recipe at cooks.com, here's the link.  It was originally a raspberry juice jelly. 


Juice Jelly

  • 2 cups of fruit juice
  • 4 cups of golden brown sugar
  • 2 (3 oz.) pkg.s liquid fruit pectin
In an *oversized pot, combine juice and sugar. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to a rolling boil.

Stir in pectin. Stirring constantly, bring to a rolling boil again and boil 1 minute longer.

Remove from heat, skim off foam. Store in sealed jars. If you're not familiar with canning, here's a link to a good site that shows you how.

Yield: 2 pints.

I used Certo pectin.
*I specified an oversized pot because in order to activate pectin, you HAVE to let it boil in a good hard rolling boil for a minute or it won't set right.  In an oversized pot the boiling liquid won't overflow into a mess.

2 comments:

  1. Dried Sorrel flowers??? OMG I had no idea they were edible. What does it taste like? I was thinking planting sorrel around the house, and now I REALLY want to think about it, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends from the West Indies & Jamaica were the first to turn me on to sorrel. Because it blooms around December it's their holiday drink. They also replace cranberry sauce with jellied sorrel. It's to die for. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE who I shared my sorrel jelly with fell in love with it. It's been less than a week since I made it & I've already had requests for more. It's that good.

      Sorrel has to be sweetened & then if you like, mixed with things like cinnamon, cloves and/or ginger. I recommend that you google a recipe for the drink. Even the recipe on the back of the package that I now have is almost entirely to taste. And if you sweeten it with something other than sugar, you get many health benefits as well (high blood pressure, weight loss, etc...) Here's an article I found interesting regarding sorrel. http://doctorschar.com/features/jamacian-sorrel/

      Last thing, remember that like any tea, the sorrel blooms get steeped not boiled.

      Good luck with it.
      Abramo.

      Delete